Monday, January 17, 2011

Family Table

They say the kitchen is the heart of the home.  That is definitely true at my house - both literally and figuratively.  My kitchen is architecturally in the center of my house.  It is also where we spend the most time together as a family.

Family meal time is a very important part of our daily routine.  We sit down to a meal together every night.  Often, I cook.  However, sometimes we order pizza, go to a restaurant, or eat canned soup and grilled cheese sandwiches, but we sit together and eat.  We talk about our day, world happenings, religion, and upcoming events.  Even when my husband travels out of town for his job, I sit down at the table with my girls.

Some evenings, it doesn't go so well.  The kids argue; drinks get spilled; I try a new recipe that nobody likes. But, we always make the effort - we always try.

Family meals are a tradition that my husband and I both grew up with and one that is still important to our extended families as well.  It's how we celebrate holidays, birthdays, and family reunions - around the table together sharing a meal.

I know sharing family meals will get harder as my girls get older and we all get busier, but I will always try to make it happen.  I am so thankful that our parents always put forth the effort and gave us this tradition.  I certainly hope my girls will pass it on to their future families as well.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...