Sunday, March 20, 2011

Pasta with Sausage and Tomato Cream Sauce

This recipe is very quick and easy, but feels just a little gourmet.

Pasta with Sausage and Tomato Cream Sauce

  • 1/2 lb. bulk Italian sausage, mild
  • 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1/4 cup diced onion
  • 1 or 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 (14 oz) can petite diced tomatoes
  • 3/4 cup whipping cream
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
  • 6-8 ounces pasta (I use rigatoni or penne)


Cook pasta according to package directions and drain.  Meanwhile,  heat a skillet over medium high heat.  Add sausage and brown slightly.  Add red pepper, onion, & garlic.  Cook until onion is tender and sausage is browned.  Add tomatoes, cream, & salt.  Simmer until mixture thickens a little, about 5 minutes.  Add drained pasta to sauce and continue to simmer and additional 5 minutes.  Serve with Parmesan cheese and a green salad!

**The first time I made this, I followed these instructions exactly.  My kids thought it was a little too spicy, so I have backed off on the red pepper flakes since then.  I only use about 1/8 teaspoon or I leave it out entirely.  If you like it extra spicy you could add more red pepper flakes and/or use hot sausage!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...