Sunday, June 12, 2011

The "Blankie Situation"


Here's a picture of Emily with her blankie:
Here's another one:
The good news is that these "blankies" are nothing but cloth diapers which means they are inexpensive and easily replaceable.  They also bring her instant comfort and they made weaning her from her pacifier (when she was 1 year old) a lot easier.

The bad news is that she's almost 4 and THEY'RE STILL HERE!!!  In fact, they are everywhere. . . . 
In the bathroom . . . 


On the couch in the den. . . .


On her bed. . . . 

And in the laundry pile. . . .



Some days, I feel like the blankies are taking over our lives.  I hoped Emily would outgrow this attachment (at least a little), but I think it is actually getting worse.  In fact, she's become so attached that sometimes the blankies get in the way.  Just yesterday, I took her to a birthday party at one of those places that has all the inflatable, bouncy things.  She was trying to climb up one of the "ladders" to go down the big slide and kept slipping because she had a blankie in her hand.  Heaven forbid we ever forget to take one with us, too.   Then I become "that mom" who has the screaming child all the way through Target/the grocery store/etc.  I've only made that mistake once or twice.     

Anyway, this summer I am hoping she can become a little a lot less dependent on these blankies.  However, I have mentioned it to her a couple times and she is NOT happy about it.  She immediately says "No!" and will even get teary at just the thought of not having a blankie in her hand at all times.  I have tried the "You're not a baby anymore" approach as well.  The only problem is that, in our house, Emily is the baby and she knows it!  So, that doesn't work either.

My plan is to start by insisting that the blankies stay in the house or in the car.  Eventually, I hope to work our way up to blankies staying in the bed or in the car only.  Just getting that far will be a monumental task.  If When we get there, I will try to figure out how to make them disappear completely.  

If this plan doesn't work, I suppose we could just go "cold turkey," but that would unleash several days of pure torture and I am just not quite that desperate - yet!  (We might have to go this route if she still wants to take them to college with her!  It might be that long before I get that desperate, too!)

In the meantime, cross your fingers, wish us luck, and look for an update on the "Blankie Situation" later this summer!

(Also, if you have any surefire methods or additional suggestions, I'd love to hear them!!  Leave me a comment.  If your idea works, you win a prize - about 50 extremely valuable blankies!!!) 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...