Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Changing the World

If you know my kids at all or if you have read anything on this blog about Rachel, you have probably figured out that she is a very determined and intense kid.  Sometimes that determination and intensity comes across as stubborness that makes me want to repeatedly bang my head against a wall.  Once in a while, though, her determination and intensity lead to a moment of intelligence and creativity that takes my breath away.

One of those moments happened this past weekend.

On Saturday, I saw her at the kitchen table writing, but I was caught up in my own chores and busyness.  I didn't pay much attention until she handed me a piece of paper and asked, "What do you think?"

Here's what it said:
(written almost flawlessly in her newly learned cursive handwriting)

Change the World Ideas
  • car pools
  • pick up trash
  • use both sides of paper
  • don't litter
  • help animals find food
  • use reusable towels
  • recycle
  • use less water
  • use earth day to clean and plant more trees
  • be sure to turn off lights
  • use less electricity
  • make posters to get people to help you
  • use every day as earth day
  • use led lights to save energy
  • use reusable cups
  • remember that one million starts with one (This one is my favorite.)

She's 8.  She's amazing.  She truly comes up with this stuff on her own.  David and I are all for being earth-friendly, but it is not something we "preach" or intentionally discuss very often.  However, Rachel just seems to have this natural drive to make this world a better place - from saving animals to saving trees to saving the whole world. I wish I could take more credit for her "drive," but I can't.  I don't honestly know where she gets it.  What I do know is that she is going to do some great things in her life.  In fact, if there is anyone out there who can truly change this world, I'll place all my bets on Rachel anytime!!




No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...